Yikes... ONE post in 2016. Well, I have been doing a few projects here and there but have been lacking the motivation to bother posting any of the details.
While trying to learn some basic wood carving, I had the idea of making a large piece that incorporated a mirror into the art. Knowing almost NOTHING about wood-working or the tools involved, I fumbled my way through the following project:
The idea here was that I would cut out the blank space within the skull and mount a mirror behind it. However, after getting this far, I realized that scale of everything seemed terribly wonky and so I scrapped this layout and went with something a little more playful and offbeat.
After this came some distressing of the wood, some sanding, staining, priming, painting, more distressing and a whole of glue.
And I tried making a second version with a different wood stain:
BTW, the skeleton bit glows in the dark. Oh, yeah...